Welcome to the Lower Shore Health Insurance Assistance Program
Enrollment is now closed for Qualified Health Plans to be purchased from the deadline was January 31st, 2017.
Welcome to the Lower Shore Health Insurance Assistance Program for the local residents of Somerset, Wicomico and Worcester counties. We are here to provide free in-person assistance to individuals and families of the Lower Shore. Our certified Navigators help with navigating through the state marketplace, Maryland Health Connection to obtain access to health coverage. Maryland Health Connection is the only place where you can receive financial assistance. Depending on your household size and income, you may be eligible for an Advanced Premium Tax Credit to lower the monthly costs, and or, a Cost Sharing Reduction, which will help lower deducible and out-of-pocket costs for private health plans. Individuals and families may also qualify for free coverage through Medicaid. To gain a better understanding of this, our friendly and accessible staff is available to answer questions and guide you through the online application process.
You can shop, compare and select health care plans through the state marketplace, Maryland Health Connection. You can also download their mobile app on Android or Apple: “Enroll MHC”!
*** Lower Shore Health Insurance Assistance Program is administered by the Worcester County Health Department and serves the residents of Somerset, Wicomico and Worcester counties. The program is funded by a grant from the Maryland Health Benefit Exchange.***
Educational outreach events take place throughout the community at businesses, schools, and other community organizations. For a complete list of our scheduled office hours please visit our Locations tab and for a list of scheduled outreach events please see our Calendar.
Important Things To Remember
Open enrollment for private health plans is now closed!! However, you may qualify for a special enrollment. Life changes that may effect your eligibility include:
- Getting married or divorced
- Having a child, adopting a child, or placing a child for adoption or in foster care
- Certain changes in income
- Moving to or from Maryland, and moves within the state
- Having a change in disability status
- Gaining or losing a dependent
- Certain losses of other health coverage (such as employer ending coverage, or loss of job or employee leaving a job that provides coverage, but not termination because you didn’t pay your plan premium)
- Becoming ineligible for Medicaid or MCHP
- Turning 26 years old if you are enrolled in coverage through your family’s plan
- COBRA coverage period ends
Other changes that may affect eligibility include:
- Change in tax filing status
- Change of citizenship or immigration status
- Incarceration or release from incarceration
- Change in status as an American Indian/Alaska Native or tribal status
Call to schedule an appointment with one of our local navigators to receive one-on-one assistance with your application. 855-445-5540
Maryland Health Connection Application Checklist: (please bring the following documents to your appointment)
· Social Security numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
· Proof of citizenship or immigration status
· Tax returns for previous years
· Employer and income info (pay stubs, W-2 forms)
· Policy numbers for any current health insurance
· Information about any job-related coverage you or someone in your household is eligible for
· Photo ID, if you're applying in person
Call Center Hours
· Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.